Have you been natural for awhile but you are not sure when to trim your hair?
Here are a few reasons to trim your hair:
- When you manipulate it you feel popping and snapping
- When your hair does not style well.
- Check the hair which falls on the sink. Do you see short hairs the size of eyelashes? Those are split ends time to trim.
- Your hair tangles excessively
- When you twist your hair you see frayed ends
- The ends of your hair are extremely see through
Although you can mend a split end temporarily with certain products, it is best to trim that split end off. Hair can split anywhere on the strand. But the most common type of split happens between mid strand and the ends. Once your hair starts to split it will continue to split all the way up the hair shaft. Always cut your splits immediately.
How to trim your hair:
Seek a professional stylist
- Especially if this is your first cut since going natural
- Make an appointment with a professional who can work with natural coily hair.
- It is not necessary to straighten Afro hair, in order to trim it.
- A minimally skilled stylist should be able to trim your hair in its natural state.
- No blow dryers or straighteners needed, unless you want to. Be clear with the stylist your desires, before she begins to cut.
Trim it yourself
- Detangle hair well
- Separate hair into 2' by 2' sections
- Two strand twist those sections
- Twist as close to the end as you can
- Using cutting shears, trim off the frayed ends
HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU TRIM?
If you did not start your natural journey from a big chop, then you want to start with a professional trim. You want to start from clean, healthy ends. How much you will need to get cut will depend on the health of your hair. Get this trim with a cosmetologist. She will examine your ends and tell you how much she recommends to cut.
Once you have your first professional cut. Mark your calendar for every 4th month. This will equal 3 trims a year. Remove at least .25 inch each trim. Trim off more if necessary. Following this schedule and a healthy hair regimen, will enable you to maintain healthy full beautiful ends. When your ends look good, your hair styles well. You also retain more length. So you will reach your length goals faster.
|HOW THE ENDS OF YOUR TWISTS SHOULD LOOK|
NO FRIZZ AND A UNIFORMED COIL
HOW TO KEEP FROM HAVING TO CUT A LOT EACH TRIM
- Never brush your hair, it weakens your ends.
- Fingercomb or use a seamless comb
- Limit your use of flat irons and all heat straightening.
- Keep your ends from rubbing on your clothing or seats.
- Moisturize and oil your hair on a regular basis.
Read all about New Moon Phase trimming and get the dates for March and April HERE